Thursday, September 17, 2009

Phew! I think I'm going to make it through the season...though I still feel at times like assuming such a poes (pose=poes=Poe, get it?). Two more CSA pickups, and two weeks of markets. Of course, I give myself a bit of a hard time for not planting another 1/4 acre in winter squashes, another 1/4 acre in everlastings for dried arrangements, another 1/4 in garlic, etc etc. to last me into the early winter along with the lettuces, kale, tatsoi, chard and mustards that are coming along.
But a girl can only do so much. Next year!



Things are looking very much like fall in the garden. Lots of cover-cropped areas, both established buckwheat, and last-chance oats.

The newest 1/2 acre plot recently got it's summer peas,vetch,oats crop disced in and reseeded with winter rye (or wheat---I can't remember which).

A new row of raspberries got transplanted in. And speaking of raspberries, we may get a last-hurrah bumper crop of fall rapsberries! Keep those fingers crossed! Today I picked a handful of ripe ones, and the cane-tips are just laden with them, nodding under the weight. The bees are happy too. One more week of this great sunny weather and then we'll see.

Start......................Finish.

And at market, a lovely mix of things and colors: Chard and Cantaloupe and Radishes and Potatoes (you must try making purple mashed potatoes).

No comments:

History and Future of a Small Farm

coming soon