I got a second floral cooler, which will be cool-bot retrofitted for post-harvest cold storage of veggies and flowers. Now that I have two, I can seperate types of produce, or veggies from flowers, since each react differently to ripening agents. Bottom line, though, is that now I have more space, since I maxed out on storage space last summer a number of time. It will allow more flexibility in my harvesting schedule.
The moving process of this 625 lb. monster was quite amusing. While I had sucessfully wrangled and moved the first cooler on my own and with friends' assistance, I was tired of the logisitcal nightmare of finding a truck, flatbed trailer, dollies, straps, enough hands, ramps, etc. etc. So I decided to hire a "professional" moving company to do it. HA! First of all, most companies didn't want to touch a floral cooler with a ten-foot pole. Then, the two companies that did take jobs of this sort wanted to charge an exorbant flat fee. So I grumbled and mumbled but stuck to my guns and paid the money and was looking forward to having a team of strong, ox-like men move the cooler. However, when I arrived at the pick-up sight and met the movers, it became disturbingly clear that they had sent only two guys, each no larger than myself. Great. To make a long story short, the process was very iffy and not at all the comfortable, hands-off deal I had imagined it, but the cooler got delivered safetly and without (too much) incident.
The lower field got limed. 10 tons went on. A big spreader truck came and broadcast $750 worth of 'dust' in about 15 minutes. Wow.
I have been working on a proposed "School Garden" for the local elementary/middle school. After meeting with the principal, the teachers, the PTO, and the school's groundsperson, I brought a fleshed out proposal to the School Board meeting last week and got approval to move forward with the project. Under the auspices of an Ag or Garden Club, the school garden will be a centrally located vegetable and flower garden for the entire school to use. Classes can utilize the garden as a learning lab, students can take on individual garden projects, there could be a K-to-8 legacy project, an inter-school pumpkin growing contest, a harvest meal, gardening workshops, and more! The possibilities are almost endless, but at the very least, children will be more exposed to growing food and the school kitchen will have the opportunity to supplement its salad bar with truely local food. I'm incredibly excited about this project, and so pleased to have recieved so much support for the concepts I am developing. Now the challenging task of gathering resources and funding looms ahead, but I have some good ideas up my sleeve. Ultimately, I see the school garden as the perfect way for me to give back to the segment of my community that I am most interested in --the children, and for me to get my foot in the door to do expanded school-to-farm and farm-to-school programs in the future. I mean, how great would it be for Two Mountain farm to be able to supply all of the school's fall Salad Greens, Potatoes, and Carrots?! I think it's a viable goal.
The moving process of this 625 lb. monster was quite amusing. While I had sucessfully wrangled and moved the first cooler on my own and with friends' assistance, I was tired of the logisitcal nightmare of finding a truck, flatbed trailer, dollies, straps, enough hands, ramps, etc. etc. So I decided to hire a "professional" moving company to do it. HA! First of all, most companies didn't want to touch a floral cooler with a ten-foot pole. Then, the two companies that did take jobs of this sort wanted to charge an exorbant flat fee. So I grumbled and mumbled but stuck to my guns and paid the money and was looking forward to having a team of strong, ox-like men move the cooler. However, when I arrived at the pick-up sight and met the movers, it became disturbingly clear that they had sent only two guys, each no larger than myself. Great. To make a long story short, the process was very iffy and not at all the comfortable, hands-off deal I had imagined it, but the cooler got delivered safetly and without (too much) incident.
And so, one day I went up to do some work and was greeted by a mangled, tangled bent of hoops and purlins, and a flapping mess of plastic. Luckily, no pieces went sailing into my neighbors' houses, and only one purlin was bent beyond hope of salvage. Now I just get to spend two days reconstructing the sucker.
But it could've been worse. But I'm still not going to post any pictures, because I'll start crying again.
In the coming weeks, leading up to Solstice and those other holidays:
-More chicken tractors for the herd of chickybockers that will be coming on board next spring
-A new website platform and layout, TBA. There will still be a link to this one, too.
-The yearly revised draft of my business plan
-Attending a few farm-related workshops
-Planning, thinking, musing, dreaming.
Gettin' ready for winter. I haven't been home this time of year for 7 yrs, so I'm also just going to marinate in good ole New Englandness.
Until next time---LET IT SNOW!!!
3 comments:
Wow! busy fall. Looks like each season brings forth new and exciting growth, even in the winter.
Hope you get lots of snow! (we got about 10 flakes)
Busy, indeed. And I would like to give my full support to:
Cider
Harry Potter
Farm-to-School programs
Websites
Everything else you do
It's freezing here, but not snowy. If it was cloudy enough to be snowy, it wouldn't be freezing. And uh.
thanks for the update. I was wondering what this winter was bringing you way. It's time for a phone call soon. miss you.
Post a Comment