Monday, August 18, 2008

Hail No!

Well, friends, there were a number of options for post-title this time. Among them,"August Anxieties," "The Garden in Decline," and "Wanted: High-Paying Job". But I went with the concept that has made the greatest impact for me, literally.
Two weekends in a row now, the gardens have suffered through hail events. This saturday's was the worst: twenty minutes of pea- and pebble-sized ice balls, pummelling down and hastened by hurricane-strength gusts of wind. The result was holes in the foliage of everything from chard and beans to sunflowers and squash. Tomatoes that weren't under direct cover got dimpled and pocked, and most lettuce successions have sort of melted down. I could take pictures, but then why draw out the misery.....

3 comments:

Alice and Stuart said...

Oh no! Our worst fear! Hail and strong winds...a double whammy no less. We''re thinking of you and we wish we could come sneak you away from the farm for a day or two or three. You could come down here for a week! We have loads of room, and locopops is not far away. Their lavender cream and mojito flavors are incredible. Maybe we could get real alcohol in the mojito....

Sweet Mess said...

I am so sorry to hear of your misery... :(
Hang in there farmer Kat, we all love you and are sending well wishes for Two Mnt. Farm.

Erin said...

Oh no! I am sorry... I am hope everything bounces back. Corbin gives you a wail...for your hail...

History and Future of a Small Farm

coming soon