Saturday, October 11, 2008

Ah-Ha!


What a funny phrase when stared at too long! Ah ha! Ah ha! Ah ha! Starts to look like a protein.....

Anyway, I had a wonderful Ah Ha! Moment this morning.

And--don't smirk--this moment was sponsored by John McCain. Not that I will vote for him (though I do like some things he has done, and some things he claims he will stand for...), but the impetus for my musings was his response to a primary debate question regarding when rights for a person begins: "at conception". Now, I won't go into my own feelings on that and related issues, but my own ticker tape brain instantly presented: "well, how does one know excactly when that moment of conception is?!" Can one dowse (sp?) in retrospect and figure it out?!

It seems so much more straight forward to consider the birth as the beginning of life. But it's not that simple.... [so, shouldn't we celebrate conceptionday?]


I was walking with Poe through the forest, coming out into one of the back fields, the light fabulous. I was thinking longingly ahead to April, and about how spring is always thought of as the time for new beginnings, for birth and renewal. Yes, spring seems to be the beginning of many things: the budding out of leaves, the sprouting of seeds, the birth of birds. Etc. But dude, that all is initiated in the fall... when things turn inward, gather strength, start again from the dark soil, move into new phases, re-define themselves, rest, and ready themselves for the coming-out party that is Spring.

I feel similar things within myself too. Yes, fall is contemplative and reflective and quiet and calming. But damn, it's also really envigorating and joyful. In some moments I can sense myself stepping into new layers of my life. Like a Springfall! or a fallspring! one into the other! the other into the one! the one! autumn is my spring!
And so this morning, when I stepped into that field and took in the light: AH HA!

I literally shivered.

It felt SO good.

You may say "well I knew all that; you didn't?" . yeah, I may have known it conceptually, this cyclical nature of things, the oneness, but sometimes it takes that extra bit of light to make me feel it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Erin said...

Ah-ha! Thanks for that thoughtful post. It made me smile to "see" you thinking about all that :-)

Alice and Stuart said...

incredible picture! We're also celebrating the fallspring here as well. It feels like spring when all your doing is planting things for spring production. but at the same time it is fall as the leaves change, the sweaters reappear, the acorns fall, and the killing frost takes all things summer away. hope you're well Kat and give Poe some lovin' from us :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, Kat! I love the photo and the imagery of fallspring!

mypigsfly said...

Katter the mad hatter (do you know that's what I call you in my head sometimes...must be some subconscious knowing of your wonderfully mad spinning of topics, as this posting boats of ;c) I do think you've coined a new phrase with Springfall. I love it and I resonate. cheers beautiful woman!

History and Future of a Small Farm

coming soon