Saturday, February 07, 2009

Planting...errr...Planning Time

No doubt, this image seems a long way off. We have been surrounded by so much whiteness in these winter days that I myself was taken aback when I opened up the file to view the image. there is so much bright green!

But I couldn't resist posting the picture because, yes, spring will come and along with it planting time, and momemts like these where I will stand up, stretch my back and consider my work in progress. My work, the soil's work, the sun's work: all of it together.

For now, though, it is PLANNING time. Way out here in Idaho, I have surrounded myself with catalogues (online ones, too, which I despise), records of seeds left over from last year, planting records, notes, brainstorms, and a few good-sized dreams. What a fun "season" in the world of the market-farmer!
I just wanted to make my presence known here in the blogosphere: a little pre-spring announcement that my brain is working, my heart is commited to that lovely, rough farm on the hill, and the garden will get planted.











6 comments:

Sweet Mess said...

OHHH... I love a planting dream in the dead of winter. It is good to see pictures like the one you posted. It does seem amazingly green!

Anonymous said...

My brain is working, too. In the next few weeks I'll start some seeds inside.

Our "farm" is fraught with confusion at the moment; our hens haven't laid an egg for five days or so, ever since I forgot to fill their feeder for a day. I think they're pissed at me. Get over it, ladies! Earn your keep!

Nice to have a blog from you.

Erin said...

Hmmm.. I was going to go out into the garden today but instead I baby proofed. That seems to be more safe right now. Exciting to think about spring and summer. Hopefully we will be in Andover in the summer to see your garden in real life. Yay!

Lauren Duquette said...

Hi Kat!
So nice to get your CSA announcement and the link to your blog! I see your mom at the Thrift Shop every few weeks and she keeps me updated on how you're doing out there in the west! We, too, are previewing the seed catalogs and planning for the spring. Know that there is plenty of sheep manure for you if you need/want any when you get back to the farm!
Lauren at The Farm at Brook's Bend

* * said...

"My work, the soil's work, the sun's work: all of it together" I like that! I am dreaming of Spring, green, seeds, and planting too!
I look forward to seeing you again when you get back to N.H. and for now, so nice to see you here! : )
Be well Kat

Alice and Stuart said...

Alright! Kat is back! Definitely missed your blog over the winter. When do you leave NH in the fall? We're going to be up there for a wedding late sept......hope you're well and can you believe spring is so close? We're taking about 16 buckets of tulips to market from the greenhouse and hoophouse today (whoa, way overplanted). Wish us luck and can't wait for more posts from you.

History and Future of a Small Farm

coming soon