I have been putting in seed orders the past few weeks, and wanted to bring our attention to a few of the note-worthy newcomers to this year's garden. Some will be trialed on a small-scale basis to test their viablility in my particular soil and location. Others I imagine will be easily integrated into the market lineup. What I didn't notice in highlighting these things, was that a lot have some deep red element to them. Apparently I haven't just been dreaming in green, but in red as well. I can only hope that color doesn't seep it's way into my accounting books, too!

Bodacious! Yup, I'm going to try growing some corn for the CSA shares. Keep those fingers crossed.
Amaranthus gangenticus Elephant's Head Amaranth: boisterous, beautiful, in-your-face color for large arrangements and mixed bouquets, or alone en masse for full impact!
Physalis alkekengi Chinese lanterns: whimsical but elegant, simple but fascinating, and --supposedly--easy to grow.
Lycopersicon lycopersicum var Black Krim: A dark and mysterious variety that hails from Russia, this one is sure to be enjoyed on a summer's eve while reading something from Dostoevsky or the likes.
Coix lacryma-jobi: Job's Tears ornamental grass. I just love textures and colors inherent in grasses and grains. This one may find it's way onto my favorites list along with "love grass," "texas black-tipped wheat," and "hares tails".
Abelmoschus esculentus: Okra!? Even if it doens't produce, I'll still find pleasure in repeating it's binomial nomiclature under my breath.
Even though it's still snowy here in Idaho, with some of the best skiing of the winter in the past week, I've been a bit distracted--as I should be--by the garden and the upcoming growing season. Getting very excited! What are you most looking forward to eating or growing?
3 comments:
Our garlic is pushing 4 inches, and I found some shoots today that reassured me that our artichoke in fact did not freeze to death.
I'm hoping to plant some greens starts soon, and some seeds, too. Hooray for planting time!
Yeah Kat! Just seeing this post makes me miss fresh food, warm sun and YOU so much! Here's to some summer night eating those tomatoes and reading Dostoyevski!!!
This dreaming season is so heartening...
Post a Comment