Thursday, April 23, 2009

Inside Outs

Welcome hoophouses one and two, two and one from left to right. The framework for HH2 went up last fall; the single layer poly endwalls and roof went on a few weeks ago; the side walls are rigid sliding plastic dealies.
Some folks name their hoophouses. I have no clue....windy and breezy? Really, you should see the less-than-taught elements of the plastic shift and whip around in the April "zephrys" we've been experiencing. Just as long as they don't lift off.....
It's nice to fantasize about these things being heated, but I just can't rationalize all that energy use to keep such vast, uninsulated space up to snuff through the night hours. So, I walk the line, and compromise, and learn, and maybe use the houses differently in the future.















Inside, it's a serene scene. HH2 is this year's tomatoe house (per rotation), and it's been tilled and driptape and plastic are down. Next come the plants. Soil temp is hovering at fiddy-two; I'd like it a bit warmer, so I'm sitting tight. In the other house I'm doing cutflowers and cukes: all the flowers are trials, essentially, so wish me luck.














Outside, things are kind of drab, greening grass and scarlet red of maple buds aside. Garlic is looking good, raspberries are close to leafing out. Planted two peach trees and a grafted 2-in-1 Asian pear; these will compliment the mature and producing fruit trees on the property nicely---fade in, fade out. yum. Garlic is doing fine; Raspberries are about to leaf out.




















On the horizon: Bees!?!
Workshopping this weekend. Hives on the way. Start with two colonies. What's that, like 24,000 pollinators? Nice.
(why is it so hard to correctly format these blogs sometimes?...)

1 comment:

mel said...

Kat, this all looks amazing. I truly hope I can come and visit some day soon.

History and Future of a Small Farm

coming soon