Monday, August 17, 2009

Summer Soiree, Farm Style

Sunday afternoon, with sweltering heat-haze fading our two mountains into monochromes of grey, friends of the farm came together to celebrate summer, good food, and a strengthening community of folks who appreciate things that come from our local soil! The annual "open gardens and barn potluck" has been growing steadily each year, with over 50 people showing up this time! I certainly can't overstate my feeling that, at this point in the season (especially this one...) there's nothing more rejuvinating and reaffirming for a young grower than to be surrounded by those people who support the farm, and who are excited to come out to visit the gardens and meet new friends. A huge thanks to all those who attended, and who contributed to the fantastic potluck spread.

Part of the "open gardens" is the farm tour, which allowed me to showcase (gulp) my vegetable-plot-formerly-known-as-Tomatoes, which have fully succumbed to Late Blight. It's not a pretty sight, but I have plans to replant in fall crops such as spinach, salad mixes and such, to salvage something from the soil. Below left are the former tomato rows--plants all pulled and disposed of-- with composted sheep manure recently added; they'll be tilled in tomorrow. Below right are beds already in motion with fall successions of salad mix and radishes.


Though people asked many good questions and I tried to give a broad overview of farm operations, it's darn hard to talk about everything that I want to in one short tour. For instance, I didn't mention my intentions of bringing animals into the farm system over the next few years, beginning with laying hens next summer. They will be pasture grazed in chicken tractors and will contribute significantly to soil fertility. Another thing I didn't highlight in our tour around the property was the presence of 12 high-bush blueberries that got transplanted in last fall. They have blessed me with a few pints of blueberries---which is more than I expected considering the substantial stresses they've endured in transport and transplant. It also helps to have a motivated picker.


In the true spirit of summer, the youngsters played in the sprinkler and on the hammock while the adults relaxed in the shade. Some wandered through the gardens, perhaps taking a picture of the lime-green zinnias in my cut-flower beds.


After admiring flowers and corn, head lettuce and bean successions, the gang mosied down to the barn where they endured a line for the potluck buffet of middle-school-cafeteria proportions. Luckily, the food was about a million times better than anything I remember from those days.


Sadly, I don't have any pictures of the barn interior, which was all decked out with long tables, lights, and flower bouquets. There were so many people, though, that the tables and chairs outdoors were occupied as well. New aquaintances were made; laughs were shared; neighbors reconnected....
CSA members and extended family, young farmers from Sun Hill Farm, "wise" farmers from across the street...
dear friends from across the country, and new young friends filled up on chocolate cake!
Three cheers for summer! Keep it comin'!

2 comments:

Adam said...

You are doing good work, Kat.

It was great to see you and your farm.

Erin said...

It was an honor to be there and celebrate with you. I am so amazed at what you are doing! You are one cool Kat!!!

History and Future of a Small Farm

coming soon