Thursday, May 07, 2009

Movements of a Day




The fallen rain sits and silvers the grass. I move through it and leave a ragged web--proof of movement--across the fields. In some ways it reminds me of the time-exposure shots of cars or lights moving across a landscape. I walked here, walked there, you can see it all, especially from above (ie. standing on the greenhouse roof). There's a halo of deeper green around the newer apple and peach trees, and the honeyberries, from when I expanded their mulch ring and added composted sheep manure. There's a veritable highway to and from the hoophouses, where I was today whenever it did anything more than mist and sprinkle. Everything is so wet that if you dirty your hands, you only have to brush them in the clover at your feet and all will be wiped off.

i like the rain, but i'm ready for some sun now, too.

1 comment:

Alice and Stuart said...

Kat! Your garden is lookin' mighty fine. What do you do with all those rocks you get out of the soil? Sorry about the delay with the wedding pricing, we've been crazy busy. And aren't you selling all those gorgeous tulips? Do they come back every year up there? Love your hoophouses. We might get another this fall. Miss you and hope you're well.

History and Future of a Small Farm

coming soon